Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog ate some caramel candy and she iwant move around,

Customer Question

My dog ate some caramel candy and she iwant move around
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sassey anout 5 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sassey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sassey?
Customer: Don't know of anything elsr
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Sassey. How long ago did she eat this caramel candy? How much did she eat and what brand was it? How heavy is your girl? Does she appear bloated, or has she had any vomiting?

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know how much she weights about 30 to 40 pounds it is the cube kind that is wrapped by itself
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Ok thanks for that. How many did she eat and how long ago?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't know about 6 pieces just got home so I don't know what time she ate them
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Ok - thanks for that. Thankfully this type of caramel isn't toxic to dogs, but if she ate enough of the candy, then it could be enough to cause an upset stomach and potentially some GI upset in the next few hours. It certainly sounds like Sassey might have a belly ache, and if she appears at all bloated right now, you are best to play it safe and get her seen by your local ER vet.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. As she likely does have some GI upset, you can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on Sassey's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As she is likely nauseous, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Sassey and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hopefully my message regarding Sassy came through? How were those parameters?

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Sassey overnight? Did her symptoms settle, or did you follow up with your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E