How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6997
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate about a 1/2 cup of red grapes seedless, 7 months

Customer Question

my dog ate about a 1/2 cup of red grapes seedless
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bruce 7 months old and 60 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruce?
Customer: he's in good shape
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 16 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Bruce. How long ago did Bruce eat these grapes?

Dr E

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
15 minutes
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 16 days ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. As you may already know, grapes and raisins are both toxic to dogs and can cause acute kidney failure. A half cup of grapes is certainly enough to have a toxic effect on a 60lb dog, so you really do need to get Bruce seen by your local ER vet immediately. Here they can easily induce vomiting with a drug called apomorphine. If most or all of the grapes appear to come up, then Bruce should be fine. If Bruce doesn't vomit these up however, then the vet team will need to monitor him overnight, start him on IV fluids and given activated charcoal to absorb the toxin in his GI tract.

If for some reason you can't get Bruce seen immediately, you may need to induce vomiting from home. There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been less than half an hour - he will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

As above - the best next step here is to get Bruce to your local ER vet so they can induce vomiting and potentially monitor him overnight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 16 days ago.

Let me know if you need any further assistance with your boy?

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 16 days ago.

Hopefully you have got your boy to your local ER now, or have induced vomiting yourself.

I will be online for another 10 - 15 minutes if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 15 days ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Bruce overnight? Did his symptoms settle, or did you get him seen by your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 13 days ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc