Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 14 yr old spayed female cat (american hair/ginger cat) is

Customer Question

my 14 yr old spayed female cat (american long hair/ginger cat) is feverish and drooling. I think she walked across a floor that I had doused with the cleaning solution "odoban". I don't know how long ago this happened, it could have been late last night. She accessed a closed room where I had poured it on some feces residue from a different cat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: no
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: cats name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ivy?
Customer: she doesn't have any known health problems. she does have a fever, seems to have stopped drooling. ate a small amount of canned cat food abou 15 minutes ago
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Ivy. That is good that she ate some of her cat food about 15 minutes ago and that the drooling has stopped. Has she had any vomiting? Is she keeping her mouth open or seeming uncomfortable with it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no vomiting, no ulcerations in her mouth, drooling seems to have diminished somewhat

That is good that there has been no vomiting. Also good that here is no visible ulcerations on her mouth. When a cat starts to drool, it can be due to licking something that is an oral irritant. If this is the case, it may have the worst past her. The fact that the drooling has stopped and that she's eating have this being a hopeful situation. Sometimes they can drool if a tooth issue is present. Sometimes they can drool if there is a growth or sore in the mouth. Nausea can also cause some to drool. At this point, with the drooling stopped and the fact that she ate would have me hopeful that watching her over the next few days for vomiting, loss of appetite, or oral discomfort is a viable option.