Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 10 yr old Chinese created had a large soft stool 2 days

Customer Question

My 10 yr old Chinese created had a large soft stool 2 days ago. Since has had watery diarrhea and some vomiting. What should I do we are ours of town and returning home tomorrow. Should I find ER now?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Chinese crested dog
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. We started feeding him tuna because he would not eat dog food
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Torque
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Torque?
Customer: The diarrhea is liquid. He is 10 years old
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry you are having this problem with Torque. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did the diarrhea start after feeding him tuna?

2- Is he lethargic?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Did he get into anything?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has eaten small quantities of tuna before with no problems. We fed him meal six for 2 days, none since Friday. Does not appear lathargic, but calmer/quieter. No previous medical conditions. Weight approximately 12-13 lbs. Did not get into anything. Peed in the house Friday (rarely pees in house) and had a large loose stool. Stopped tuna and his stools became looser and watery for last 2 days. He has Watery stools every 3 or so hours. Vomits after about half the time he has a stool.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He did per this morning, drinking some
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
34;Pee"

Vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that he has had diarrhea and vomiting for 2 days I am concern about his hydration. I would definitely have him checked by an ER veterinarian; they can start him on IV fluids while they run some testing to determine the exact underlying cause. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Until he is seen by a veterinarian this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, he can continue to have water but leave him without food for 8-12 hours. Then, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination as soon as you can.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter