Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

She is a 4 mo. old sheltie, just got her wellness checked

Customer Question

She is a 4 mo. old sheltie, just got her wellness checked from my vet on Friday. Now she has diahreah and is throwing up some bile colored fluid and is has specks of blood in it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know of. Oh yah, it was a mess but she couldn't help it
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bonnie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bonnie?
Customer: no, I just got her a week ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your puppy Bonnie who has vomiting and diarrhea. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. This is definitely a rather worrying situation and one you need to monitor very carefully here with Bonnie. This sort of case is always of concern to be since so often I see puppies such as Bonnie in my clinic who have bad intestinal worms, a bad gastroenteritis, or sometimes even the nasty parvo virus. The fact she has had both vomiting and diarrhea make this enough of a reason to have Bonnie checked out by your local vet first thing tomorrow morning if possible. It is always better to be safe in these situations, but particularly so with young dogs like Bonnie. If she seems quite lethargic right now, then because she is so young, you are best to get her seen by your local vet straight away.

Whatever the case you will definitely need to keep a close eye on Bonnie's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate today as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to your vet or emergency vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion. Test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the vet.

As above, given her age and the number of potential causes for her symptoms, you are best off to get her seen first thing tomorrow if possible. Here are a few things that could be going on here from a partial or complete intestinal obstruction, intestinal worms (hopefully she is up to date with deworming treatments), a toxicity, or this could even potentially be something infectious such as parvo virus - particularly if she hasn't been fully vaccinated yet!

Best of luck with Bonnie and please let me know how you get on. For now, make sure she is drinking plenty of water and try to keep her as quiet as possible. There is a risk that she will become quite badly dehydrated relatively quickly if she isn't drinking and has ongoing diarrhea. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

How are your girl's parameters? Hopefully they are all ok. Let me know if you have any further questions?

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Bonnie last night? Did she improve, or did you get her checked by your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E