How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29469
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an 18 pound west who is 14 years old. He just ate 5

Customer Question

i have an 18 pound west who is 14 years old. He just ate 5 pieces of cream filled ester price chocolates
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a dog
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: bailey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about bailey?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

1- Do you know the type of chocolate (dark, milk, etc.)?

2- How many ounces did he eat?

3- How long has it been since he ate it?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cream filled chocolates dark and milk coatings. He ate 5. About 20 minutes ago. Just the size of chocolates that come in a fancy box
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No hydrogen peroxide
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Candy was about an inch round and covered with chocolate. Inside is a cream filling like lemon vanilla etc
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

It was milk chocolate?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
a couple dark chocolate
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Is he showing any symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just laying down like usual
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Friend, chocolate toxicity is very dependent on the amount consumed, weight, of the patient and type of chocolate. In this case, if the coating of chocolate was light and standard size candies it is likely that your dog will not develop life-threatening symptoms, but, can develop gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, etc. If you have access to pick up hydrogen peroxide 3% within the hour you can get him to vomit with peroxide. This is what you can do:

1- Give him 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally to get him to vomit.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life-threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), unlikely for any symptoms to develop.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He just threw up. Lots of watery substance edged with chocolate. Drinking water now.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

That is good if you are seeing the chocolate in the vomit, decreases the toxic potential. Remove the food and water for 3-4 hours, then offer him a small amount of water and wait 1/2 hour. If no vomiting he can continue to have water.

Related Veterinary Questions