Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

A CBC showed she is losing protein She is a 13 yr old female

Customer Question

A CBC showed she is losing protein She is a 13 yr old female Shi Tzu
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 13 yr old female Shi Tzu (dog)
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: was always hungry, changed dog food, did not help..
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: she sleeps a lot, stools are normal, but at time very very soft
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pixie
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I believe that you're concerned that Pixie's serum albumin level is decreased. This can occur due to a poorly functioning liver not able to produce enough albumin, and loss of albumin through the kidneys (excessive proteinuria), or bowels (a protein-losing enteropathy).

Can you upload a copy of all of Pixie's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
unable to get lab results until Monday.....unable to get lab results until Monday...office closed now.

No worries. You can return to our conversation at your convenience. Bookmark this page for ease of return.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no need to call cancell that request.... session ended thank you

You're welcome.