Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 2 year old boxer ate a poopie diaper three days ago..

Customer Question

My 2 year old boxer ate a poopie diaper three days ago.. Last night he vomitted his dinner late last night and is pooping diaper strings for the past two days. He still has plenty of energy and seems fine. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the boxer will be able to digest that. What is the boxer's name?
Customer: Little Man
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the boxer?
Customer: no
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Little Man. That is good that he's still having plenty of energy and seeming fine. Has he ate this morning?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

That is good that he's ate this morning. Is this a situation that is going to need veterinary intervention? That is the unknown. Could that material from the diaper cause a blockage? If he was to start vomiting again, go off food for over 24 hours, have abdominal discomfort or have stringy material protruding from the rectum that wasn't passing - then a blockage could be at hand that needs possible surgery. I've had numerous dogs at my ER for diaper ingestions (the stool in the diaper is just too tempting!) and almost all have passed them with no issues. I did take one to surgery that developed vomiting. As long as he's eating, comfortable, and not vomiting - there is a pretty good hope that things are passing.