Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  19 years working as a full time veterinarian
2263760

She has a cold and is having a hard time breathing

Customer Question

She has a cold and is having a hard time breathing congestion.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Chinese crested 9 years old
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes my dog
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Onika
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Onika?
Customer: she is overweight
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Is the congestion in her nose or lungs? Is she coughing? Does she have nasal drainage?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The congestion is mostly in her nose. She has a little wheezing. She is not coughing. A little bit nasal drainage.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you know of any home remedies?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess your not going to give me an answer since I don't want to pay an extra $28 to call you. I just landed on another website that rips people off. Thanks for all your help.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I work for a large corporation in the Seattle area. In the employees lounge there is a list of websites that rip people off yours will be added. I am going to post notices in all the offices also send out emails to 800 plus co workers to make sure everyone is aware of this scam! Shame on you!
Sorry I could not call. So in terms of home remedies an easy one is take her into the bathroom while you take a shower and steam out her respiratory tract.
You can give her human benadryl. 1 mg of Benadryl per each pound of dog ever 12 hours. For example a 10 pound dog takes 10 mg of Benadryl every 12 hours.
You can also buy some over the counter human nasal saline drops. Put 1-2 drop into each nostril 2-3 times a day. That should help flush out mucous.
Keep a humidifier in the room with her too.
Add warm water and low sodium broth to her food to help increase her fluid intake.
Normally a dog cold is caused by a virus and resolved in 7-10 days.
If she does not eat for 24 hours, she starts coughing a lot, her gums turn pale, she has colored nasal drainage, or she has extreme lethargy then she should see a vet.
I hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions.
Have a Happy and Blessed New Year.