Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog had a seizure and he's had them before but recovered

Customer Question

My dog had a seizure and he's had them before but recovered fairly quickly. With the last one he had, it was like multiple seizures that couldn't stop but he's calmed in between them. He hasn't recovered though and I'm not sure what to do or give him that'll help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buzz, he's 15.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buzz?
Customer: Not really he was always in very good health and these seizures only started recently. Is this an old dog thing?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Buzz. To answer you directly, brain tumor is the most common cause of seizures at his advanced age.

He's clustering - more than one seizure within a 24 hour period and that presages status epilepticus - the state in which his central nervous sytem remains agitated and I have to heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. This is best done by intravenous administration of diazepam or phenobarbital. If you don't have a 24-hour veterinary facility available to you, your only alternative is to give a benzodiazepine such as diazepam orally to Buzz. Please let me know if you have such a drug at home.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have that type of drug at home.

Thank you. It woud be prudent to drive to a veterinary ER to have Buzz attended to. These dogs can be lost within a seizure. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?