Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

There is a small area that is bald on my Pug with lots of

Customer Question

There is a small area that is bald on my Pug with lots of little black specks. I can send a picture, but not sure how on this message.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the pug's name and age?
Customer: It is definitely not fleas or anything to do with flea med. Her name is*****: How old is Raezyn?
Customer: 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Raezyn?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please see attached pictures. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you! Give me a moment to take a look at the photos, please...

The black specks are hair follicles. The area looks very quiet as if it represents an old abrasion that has healed or perhaps an old epidermal collarette which is most suggestive of bacterial skin infection. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I schedule an appointment with our veterinarian here in Ohio for medication for the bacterial skin infection or will over the counter Polysporin or Neosporin be fine to put on it?Thank you

There's nothing to treat at this time. There's no evidence of inflammation/infection. I would simply monitor and expect to see those hair follicles growing hair which will fill in that blank spot.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Everything is going okay, right now plan to monitor.
Thank you for the follow up.

Sounds good!