Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I dropped a celecoxib 200 mg capsule on the floor and my 15

Customer Question

I dropped a celecoxib 200 mg capsule on the floor and my 15 lb daschund ate it. Is there cause for concern?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a 15 pound dog
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Daschund boy who just ate a Celecoxib capsule. How long ago did he ingest this?

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
10-15 minutes
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for that and sorry I can't currently take live phone calls. Celebrex (celecoxib) is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory we do not use in dogs because of its unpredictable absorption rate and very high incidences of gastrointestinal ulcers and bleeding when it was studied. As such, and as your Daschund ingested this within the last half hour, it is worth trying to get him or her to vomit it back up. The best way to do this is to get your local vet where they can induce vomiting with a drug called apomorphine and the capsule should come up easily. If you can't get him or her seen right now, then you will need to try from home. There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been about half an hour - he will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you attempt inducing vomiting at home, but the capsule doesn't come up, then you are best to get your Daschund monitored overnight at your local vets, where they will likely start him or her on IV fluids and perhaps give a little activated charcoal. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

How did you get on with your Daschund? Did you get him or her to your local ER vet, or are you attempting to induce emesis from home?

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I hope you managed to get your Dachshund seen for this in the end? How is she now?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was not aware of the $25.00 fee when I initiated the website. Since I could not speak to the vet over the phone, I was told the $28.00 fee would not apply. I called the vet before immediately and subsequently was told to bring my girl in for induced vomiting , blood work and meds. All of the above cost $370.00. Seeing your charge of $25.00 just added to the cost.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Good on you for following up with your local vet so quickly the other night. I will send your message through to customer service as it sounds like you may have been double charged. They will be able to help with that.!

All the best,

Dr E