Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our 8 year old dachshund with a history of knee surgery and

Customer Question

Our 8 year old dachshund with a history of knee surgery and in physical therapy woke up this Christmas morning with a limp that appears to be in her right foreleg. She was in physical therapy on Wednesday and had laser and water therapy. We are out of town but have brought her past prescription for prednisone. We are in a town without a 24 hour emergency pet center. She is resting and does not appear to be in pain. I hope to get her to a veterinarian tomorrow. Any suggestions for today?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Indoor dog no foot wound. She did have her nails trimmed on Wednesday
JA: What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Francie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Francie?
Customer: Rescue pup but with us for 7 years and was born with a heart condition that required ligation. And she is our fur baby
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Francie.

It's possible that she just has a sprain or strain or pulled muscle which is why she's limping although given her breed, I suppose it's possible that she has mild compression of a disc in her spine since this is such a common problem in this breed.

But, regardless the following is what I'd suggest:

1. A cool compress could be applied to the entire leg if a localized area of discomfort can't be found (which is usually the case) but be careful to only it for 5-10 minutes at a time. It should be wrapped in a towel or something similar since it's possible to burn the skin if ice is directly applied to a dog's body.

2. As long as she's not vomiting nor currently taking pred or any nsaid medication, you could give Aspirin at a dose of 10 mgs per pound, twice a day; this drug should be given with food to avoid stomach upset.

I'm sometimes hesitant to advise it's use since it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe but one or two doses should not be harmful. The anti-inflammatory as well as anti-pain properties could help her feel better.

3. Leash walk her only when she's outside although you may already know to do this. Don't let her run around or she may cause more injury. It may be hard to keep her from jumping off and on the furniture inside (if she's allowed to do this) but do the best you can in preventing it.

4. If she's not already wearing a harness (as opposed to a collar), I'd advise one although you're not likely to be able to purchase her one today.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Francie. How is she doing? Deb