How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16139
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She ate chocolate, She is a miniature snauser. She ate 6

Customer Question

she ate chocolate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She is a miniature snauser. She ate 6 girardelli rasberry dark chocolate squares. The package says each square is 15 grams She weighs 27 pounds
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes she is a dog
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lucy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: we don't know when she ate the chocolate but righ tnow is very thirsty and hyper
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok. I will go to my local vet. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that Lucy got into something she should not have.

Since she is already showing some signs it is much too late to induce vomiting. The chocolate is already digested and absorbed and acting upon her system.
Chocolate toxicity causes vomiting and diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst, a very fast heart rate as well as muscle tremors and possible seizures.

The good news is that they must eat a certain amount to see any symptoms.
If she ate six dark raspberry squares that's about 90 grams of dark chocolate, slightly less due to the raspberry flavor. That's about 3 ounces. For a 27 pound dog to get sick she would need to eat least 1.8 ounces of dark chocolate and see nausea, diarrhea, increased thirst and possibly some hyper behavior.

She would need to eat 3 ounces to see truly dangerous effects (a very rapid heart rate).

As a precaution I would encourage you to get her to drink as much as possible and to get her out to urinate frequently. Chocolate toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in her bladder for long.
In most cases mild chocolate toxicity is out of their system in 24 to 48 hours. We generally begin to see symptoms, if they eat a toxic amount, within 4 to 6 hours.

If her stomach is upset it may help to with-hold food for the next 12 hours to stop intestinal spasms.

If she seems at all nauseous to try and settle her stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed.

Then after her 12 hours food fast to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.

If you do notice a very rapid heart rate (more than 160 beats per minute in a small dog) repetitive tremors or seizures then she should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis for treatment. They can use injectable medications to control her heart rate and stop the seizures until the toxic levels fall.
Best of luck with Lucy, let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup Lucy. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Related Veterinary Questions