Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has VERY RUNNY stool - and can not control it. I was

Customer Question

hi - my dog has VERY RUNNY stool - and can not control it. I was away for the night and my mother in law didn't know what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: she just began to vomit also about 5 minutes ago. her name is sterling
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did sterling eat anything unusual?
Customer: 1 1/2 years old it is a complete mess - there is nothing solid
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about sterling?
Customer: to my knowledge no nothing unusual - she is a counter surfer BUT none of my other dogs have any issues
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry you are having this problem with your dog. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Did she get into anything?

4- Any blood in the stool?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
60 lbs
no she does act as if she doesn't feel good -but very alert
i don't know - not that i know of
yes occasionally we see some blood
her body quivers when she has to go

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Friend, in a young dog like Sterling the symptoms that you are describing can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, x-rays, fecal analysis and blood work as an initial screening test. Strongly recommend having her checked in the morning by your family vet. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter