Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 6 yr old french bulldog, and I recently notice a

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have a 6 yr old french bulldog, and I recently notice a couple of skin growth on his back just behind the stump of his tail. Curious to know if it's serious or not. I have high resolution photos i can share if you'd like..?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: What is that supposed to mean?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Ollie. He's 6.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about He 's?
Customer: no. he's completely health otherwise. the lumps don't seem to have affected his mood either. his behavior is totally normal since i found the bumps.
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the larger of the two bumps is about the size of a marble
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please see attached high resolution pics taken this evening. i tried to get my thumb in the pics to give a sense of scale.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he's eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom normally and remains his normal day-to-day self. the lumps don't seem to be causing him any distress or discomfort, but as you can see from the pics they're a little nasty looking and are certainly not normal.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when i touch or put pressure on the lumps he doesn't yelp or twitch.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Based on your photos of Ollie's lumps, the more superficial one looks like a crusty wart. Though the smoother one that appears deeper in the tissues is a bit of a concern. This is because with it being deeper to the skin, we'd have to be wary of a possible abscess, cyst, lipoma (fatty lump) but also a growth (benign or cancerous). Therefore, while the crustier one is no worry as long as he isn't bothering it, the other one is worth a check. If he is due a booster soon, you can have this checked at the same time. Ideally, we'd want his vet to sample this via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then a cyst is most likely and that can be drained as needed. Or if they remove fatty material, then a lipoma would be suspect. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it is something that needs more serious treatment.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.