Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My son has a 10 year old amstaf and he keeps getting benign

Customer Question

Hi, my son has a 10 year old amstaf and he keeps getting benign lumps that grow very quickly and we get them removed. can you tell us what causes this condition please?
also we are told that he should get desexed to stop him getting testicular cancer. Is this correct and will it change his personality or attitude.
thank you, regards ***** *****
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

John, for me to be able to answer you accurately, I'll need to know what those benign lumps are. Has any one of them been biopsied? Are any present that you could photograph and upload a photo to our conversation? You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

We rarely prophylactically castrate a 10 year old dog. While these tumors are common in old dogs, these dogs are more likely to die of something other than testicular tumors. I wouldn't expect a change in his personality or attitude but you would be likely to see weight gain and a less active dog.