Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

We think she ate a 1 Nexium pill, Female miniature

Customer Question

We think she ate a 1 Nexium pill
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Female miniature schnauzer
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the miniature schnauzer will be able to digest that. What is the miniature schnauzer's name and age?
Customer: Molly age 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How many milligrams was this tablet?

How long ago did she eat it?

How much does Molly weigh?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Looks l like milligram is 22.3About 15 minutes ago
She weighs about 20 pounds
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Thank you.
Now the good news here is that Nexium is a drug that we do use in dogs on occasion and tends to be well tolerated by dogs. The only caveat to that is that she has had a double dose for her weight. So while adverse signs are uncommon, Molly would have the small risk of nausea, vomiting, belly cramps, increased gas, and diarrhea.

Therefore, in this situation, you do have a few options. Since she has just eaten this so recently, we can choose to err on the side of caution by inducing vomiting (which I am happy to discuss). Though otherwise, since this does tend to be quite well tolerated and the adverse signs are GI based, you can consider monitoring her for the next 12-24 hours and offering symptomatic care as needed. And with this potential GI upset in mind, you may just want to offer a light diet option for the next few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). These can be fed as small frequent meals and after a few days she can be slowly weaned back to her own diet.

Overall, this is not an outright poisoning for Molly but it is a double dose for her. Therefore, since she only just had this, we can induce vomiting if you wish to but otherwise since it is not a very high dose, you can choose to monitor and treat if she has any stomach upset you may see.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That is fine NO call we will monitor and treat. Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Hi again,

No worries, just disregard the auto-phone offer.

Anyway, that sounds like a good plan of action. :)

Best wishes

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.