Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We breed Labrador retrievers and the puppies usually always

Customer Question

We breed Labrador retrievers and the puppies usually always have worms. We de-worm them appropriately with pro wormer2 from drs. Fosters and Smiths. The puppies always poop out the worms but we have a client who's puppy is throwing the worms up. Is this a serious problem we have never had this occurrence before? Please advise
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Heavily infested pups will vomit roundworms due to reverse peristalsis promoted by such a heavy worm load partially obstructing the small intestine. This isn't a serious problem but does indicate a change in your worming protocol. The ProWormer2 contains pyrantel pamoate which is considered a standard of care wormer but you may not be administering it often enough. Breeding bitches should be wormed prior to breeding and pups should be wormed initially at 2 weeks of age and every 2 weeks thereafter until they're at least 12 weeks of age.

Additionally, because resistance may have developed after regular use of pyrantel pamoate, I recommend that you alternate your wormings with another standard of care wormer such as fenbendazole (Panacur) which you can also purchase over the counter. Fenbendazole also has the advantage of being effective against the protozoan Giardia as well as all of the nematodes - roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your advise. We always deworming the bitches and the puppies every two weeks, we will make the switch that you have recommended. We would also like to know if there is any care that we can provide the puppy as it is going through this rough patch?

You're quite welcome, John. Thank you for the additional information. The pup will normalize quickly once all of the roundworms are removed. I would worm the pup with fenbendazole dosed at 23 mg/lb for 3 consecutive days. The is the labeled and FDA-approved dose. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Where can we purchase fenbendazole?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
does it matter that he was wormed a week ago and can you worm the pups too much?

Many pet/feed stores carry Panacur and you can find it online such as here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1457

It's safe to give when a pup has been wormed a week ago. I'm not aware of adverse effects from being wormed as often as I've recommended and as you've done. Fenbendazole is apparently well tolerated at doses up to 100X recommended. It's also considered safe to use in pregnant bitches and generally doesn't cause any adverse effects.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your time Dr. Salkin!!

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.