Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog is old and continues to get Struvite crystals in her

Customer Question

My dog is old and continues to get Struvite crystals in her urine. She has no infection presently. After I finish the prescription diet ( 1 month) what type of diet should I put her on?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 13 days ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has Chaka Cahn had struvite crystals in her urine? Has she had x-rays of her bladder ?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The dog has had these crystals on and off for 3 years and no x rays to the bladder.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Has those crystals ever caused her problems with urination such as straining to urinate or blood in the urine? If she has been having a problem with Struvite crystals for a while I would recommend that she stay on the diet long term to help keep them from coming back especially if the food has helped get rid of them in the past. Also you should consider having xrays or an ultrasound of the bladder if they keep coming back because that could be an indication that she may have stones in the bladder . It would be important to rule those out.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I cannot keep her on the prescription diet full time as it has no meat and has very poor nutritional value.What type of food shall I put her on full time?

Any other food you put her on will still put her at risk for developing the struvite crystals again. You can look at other prescription diets as well such as Hill's c/d multi care. Otherwise you can ask about adding a supplement to her food called DL methionine. It comes in tablets or powder. This supplement can change the pH of the urine as well to help keep the struvite crystals away . You also may want to keep her on a cranberry supplement such as Cranidin to see if that helps as well