Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hui. Have a cat which has a lump about the size of a cricket

Customer Question

Hui. Have a cat which has a lump about the size of a cricket ball which came up in last 3 days. Just noticed it as she is an out door cat. A white milky like liquid is now dripping from the lump. Any idea what it is. The cat hasn't eaten for last two days.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Just Pussy Cat cause it's a female
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Age is about 5 years. Must be spaded I'm guessing as had no kittens. Been healthy up until 3 days ago now.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Based on the description, this sounds highly suspicious of a bacterial induced abscess. Often these arise secondary to cat bites/scratches but can be due to any microtrauma of the skin leading to bacterial colonization. In regards ***** ***** since she isn't eating that would support the infection spreading into the blood stream. Therefore, Pussy cat should be seen by her local vet for antibiotics +/- kitty safe pain relief to treat this from the inside out. And if it is very large, her vet can drain or lance the abscess to remove that pus and help get her feeling better quicker.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your response. Is there some thing we can do as a home remedy as the nearest vet is 168klm away
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

You are very welcome,

If it is that large, you are limited with what you can do at home. You can try expressing as much pus as possible to remove it +/- salt water flush the inside of the abscess through the wound. But really we do find antibiotics necessary for these ones (and these can only be legally dispensed by a local vet).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.