Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Today all of a sudden one of my gerbils began dragging his

Customer Question

today all of a sudden one of my gerbils began dragging his legs behind him he is only 4 months old i have no idea how this could have happened or what exactly did occur
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there does not appear to be anything visible
JA: What is the gerbil's name?
Customer: sebastian
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about sebastian?
Customer: we noticed the appeared paralysis right after cleaning their cage, other than that he is with two other presumed male gerbils one a brother and the other his father
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 14 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of what you are seeing?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i will take one right now
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it will not allow me to upload the video
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
this is a screenshot from the video showing the leg being dragged

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
http://tinypic.com/r/35bh2lz/9

This looks to either be nerve damage keeping him from being able to bring his leg into the correct position, or a break. He will need to be examined to be treated and x-rays will likely be needed to determine if there is a break. Do you have a veterinarian that already sees your gerbils?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i already knew its probably broken and no they've never needed to see a vet before we also do not have any in our area, thx for your help.

If you would like me to look, please send your city, state and zipcode and I'll see what I can find.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no i have already looked

Let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
its ok

.