Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

My dog ran into a branch and gashed her back. It's not deep

Customer Question

My dog ran into a branch and gashed her back. It's not deep but she tore off some skin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sam 9
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Sam?
Customer: She's very healthy
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 22 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm sorry to hear about Sam. If the injury just involves the very superficial layers of the skin you can try to clip the hair away from the injury (use electric clippers if you have them not scissors) and clean the area with just soap and water. Do not use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, it will damage the healthy tissue. You can then apply some triple antibiotic ointment like neosporin twice a day. If the dog wants to lick the wound get a cone or elizabethan collar right away. Monitor the wound closely, it may need to be treated with an oral antibiotic if it become red and hot or develops a foul smell or green/yellow discharge.

If I have answered your questions please kindly provide a rating. I'm happy to answer any follow up questions.

If the wound is at all open or gaping it may need stitches so if that is the case take her to the veterinarian right away

Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 20 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Carole Cocagne