Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Dog is constipated.. 1yr, no

Customer Question

Dog is constipated.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: B. 1yr
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about B.?
Customer: no
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long since he last passed stool?

Any gagging, appetite loss, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yesterday, no gagging or vomiting, gums pink and healthy, no discomfort,
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if it has only been a day, then we’d not be overly worried unless he is straining to pass stool. Still, if you are concerned that about constipation, there are some steps we can take to try and help him pass this stool. To start, we do sometimes find cow’s milk beneficial for increasing gut movement and getting stool passed. Alternatively, OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can also help as it works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. . Or we could also administer a few millilitres of Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. If he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration (since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Furthermore, if he is eating you can mix in some fiber (ie canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil) as this can restore fecal regularity (just as in people). This can be offered in canned food for ease of eating, while making sure we are getting water in (as canned food is 35% water). Also encourage him to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he has fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth to tempt him.

Overall, if constipation is suspected, we do need to tread with care. The above would be our plan of action, but as you treat do monitor fecal and urinary output. If you aren’t seeing stool in the next 12-24 hours or he worsens at all, then we’d want the local vet involved. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.