Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My. At has red eyes with a lot of puss and he can hardly

Customer Question

My. At has red eyes with a lot of puss and he can hardly open them
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pus's name and age?
Customer: Shifty 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Shifty?
Customer: No
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have his eyes been like this?

Do the eyes themselves seem red or the pink tissue around it?

Any clouding/hazing or redness to the eyeballs themselves?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not the eyeballs, just around the eyes . But he can hardly open them
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Poor lad, he looks quite sore.

Just since the photo is dark, can you let me know if the eye itself are clear or if there is clouding/opaqueness?

Any sneezing or coughing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The eyes are very cloudy. He can barely open them
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Oh dear,

Now if the eyes are very cloudy over the clear corneal cover, I'd be worried that he has corneal ulcers on top of the bacterial conjunctivitis (a concern with that pus and conjunctival inflammation). This could be due to a herpes infection, an ocular trauma, severe corneal irritation (from dust/allergens), or has a severe bacterial conjunctivitis can sometimes cause signs this severe.

In regards ***** ***** to approach this, with his squinting being a pain sign and the risk of deep ulcers, we'd want him seen as soon as possible. His vet can stain the eye to assess ulcer depth and dispense treatment to counter that and get him pain free as quickly as possible. If there is any delay in having him seen, you can try flushing the eye with sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. These are eye safe and can be used as needed to flush out discharge and reduce the bacterial population present. This can be done as often as he will allow to ease his discomfort as well. But again if he has corneal clouding (swelling/edema), then we'd need to be wary of the above and need these addressed to ease his discomfort and prevent any long term damage to his eyes.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )