Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our dog threw up all of his food 2x's 2 hours ago. he has

Customer Question

Our dog threw up all of his food 2x's 2 hours ago. he has been eating grass and throwing it up after that probably 7 times. should he be seen?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I am aware of , but there was some trash in the yard he may have gotten into
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rehan he is 18 months old 75 pounds
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rehan
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Rehan?
Customer: NOthing he is healthy normal Lab , Rotwiler mix. Friendly full of energy
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Any diarrhea?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- How long since the last time he vomited?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is not lethargic. . He hasn't thrown up for the last 45 minutes. No diarrhea. He is quieter then normal

1- Any abdominal swelling?

2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is just lying around , totally uncharacteristic. I am going to take him to a vet

I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. If he has vomited 7 times in the last 2 hours and is lethargic (lying around) we need to rule out things like ingestion of a foreign body, pancreatitis, etc. to name a few causes. If you have access to ER vet I would have him checked tonight. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until he is seen by your vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, he can continue to have water. Keep him off food for 16-20 hours, then, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter