Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Starting a few days ago, my dog has acted strange. He has

Customer Question

Starting a few days ago, my dog has acted strange. He has these attacks that only last for 20-30 seconds where he is weezing and lightly whimpering. He is tense when this happens and when it stops he looks generally upset. He doesn't seem to hurt anywhere I touch him afterward. He is eating normally. A lot of time I notice this happening in the middle of the night or when he wakes up from napping. He is a 6 year old medium sized mutt. Any idea what this could be (ps: he has unusually stinky breath recently if that might attribute to anything)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Op
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Op?
Customer: He is up to date on heart worm medicine and shots and hasn't had any medical issues up until now also he is very territorial about "under the bed" in the passed few months but it could be because we recently got another doh
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Attacks of "wheezing" suggest reverse sneezing. Please take a look at this video and let me know if this is what OP is doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure. It could be, but Op does more of a whimpering were than that guttural sound. Interesting though, I'd never heard of that

Yes, whimpering wouldn't be expected with reverse sneezing. A video of this behavior would be invaluable to OP's vet (and me). I might conjecture that she's having complex partial seizures which are described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and are associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Please continue our conversation if you wish.