Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.
Hi, I'm Dr. Jill and I'd be happy to help. I'm sorry to hear about this stressful event with your dogs. It sounds like you're not sure if your dogs may or may not have eaten the rodent bait...am I understanding this correctly? Also, do you have hydrogen peroxide 3% on hand?
About how much does each dog weigh, and about how long ago might they have ingested the bait?
Great, thanks for the info. The good news is this is a very manageable potential exposure. I would recommend giving each of them a tablespoon or two of 3% hydrogen peroxide to make them vomit. This can be repeated once if they don't vomit within 15 minutes.
When they do vomit, you'll want to grab a pair of gloves and look closely at what they've vomited up. Most of these baits are very brightly colored, so check the block you have and then look in the vomit to see if you see any brightly colored material. If the ingestion was within the last hour or so, you should see it in the vomit if they did in fact eat any.
If there's no bait in the vomit, they'll likely be fine. If you do see some, then at least most of it will be out. Diphacinone is an anticoagulant that take a couple of days to start causing issues, and the toxicity can be fixed by supplementing vitamin K. So if either of them did ingest any of the bait, you have a couple days to get them into your regular veterinarian to get a vitamin K prescription. Generally this is given by mouth for 30 days.
Happy to help! Please let me know if I can assist further. Hope things go well!
I hope things are going well with your pups. Please remember to rate my assistance as I do not get credit for helping you unless you complete this rating. If you still have questions, please let me know so I can assist further. Thanks!