Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Our Guinea Pig has a fungal infection. He is so fragile that

Customer Question

Our Guinea Pig has a fungal infection. He is so fragile that if we take him to the vet he will likely die. He is about 5 to 6 years old. Is there any shampoo that does not need a prescription that you could recommend to help keep him comfortable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the guinea pig can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the guinea pig's name?
Customer: Geo
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Geo?
Customer: No, he has always been very healthy but also always nervous when outside of his cage. This just started about a week or so ago. The vet here will not do anything unless he sees Geo but he will not survive the trip to the vet.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Geo. Yes, over the countershampoo containing ketoconazole and chlorhexidine can be helpful. Please see here: https://www.amazon.com/Keto-C-Ketoconazole-1-Chlorhexidine-Shampoo/dp/B00Q34IY6Y when used every 3-4 days. Topical antifungal lotions or sprays in the foot fungus section of your local pharmacy containing miconazole, enilconazole, or butenafine can also be helpful when applied daily. Please note that dermatophyosis (fungal infection) is zoonotic (can spread to other species) and the organisms may survive in the environemnt leading to reinfection. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.