Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog ate a chicken bone acts normal but yelps when he trys

Customer Question

my dog ate a chicken bone acts normal but yelps when he trys to poop
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: ash he is 4
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: ash
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about ash?
Customer: he is a teacup chihuahua he weighs about 4lbs
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 25 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 25 days ago.

I’m sorry to hear that your fellow Ash ate a chicken bone.
I assume that he ate the bone a few days ago and is now trying to pass the bone fragments and likely a larger, firmer and drier stool than usual due to the bone fragments and this is painful for him.
To help I recommend starting with a vaseline (or any generic petroleum jelly) sandwich. Take a half slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second half slice. Feed it to him piece by piece or he will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber to cushion fragments and soften the stool and hopefully the lubrication makes the bones pieces slip rather than catch.
For the next few days, until the pieces pass, he'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber and fluids added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the bone pieces are surrounded, the gut isn't irritated contracting on just bone and the increased fluid intake keeps his stools softer.
A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 1 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.
You'll need to check his stools frequently for bone pieces in the next few days.

Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.

If you aren't seeing a stool pass in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the bone pieces are is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked. He may need an enema and manually breaking the stool down if the bone pieces have become compacted and too large to pass easily.
Once the pieces are passed and he's feeling well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 25 days ago.

You are very welcome, my best to your pup.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 20 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****