Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Is it ok to give a kitten 1/2 or 1/4 of a pain pill that was

Customer Question

Is it ok to give a kitten 1/2 or 1/4 of a pain pill that was prescribed for my daschund? This kitten has a leg that is broken and mangled and the bone is exposed. It's in pain. It was taken to the ER and given a pain killer shot that is due to wear off in 12 hrs, which will be 7:45 in the morning.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Perhaps, but cats tolerate very few analgesics. Which drug are you thinking of administering to your kitten, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I went to look and didn't realize the bottle is empty. So...I guess my next question is, what could I give the kitten to help take the edge off the pain til we can get in to the vet?

The only safe over the counter analgesic is aspirin dosed at just 5 mg/lb given once. A baby/cardiac aspirin contains 81 mg of aspirin. You must avoid the toxic acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help.

You're quite welcome. My best to your kitten. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.