Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Need to know danger of overdose for a 50 pound dog who got 1

Customer Question

Need to know danger of overdose for a 50 pound dog who got 1 tablet of Hydroxychlor, 200MG
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again Kurt,

On the assumption that this was Hydroxychloroquine { Plaquenil } I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I would not be too worried while this is a human drug and there is not a lot known about overdoses in dogs in a study dogs were given 400 mg once a day for 6 weeks and no ill effects were reported. Since you have a larger dog and only 200 mg was involved on a one off basis the chances are that this is not a serious incident and most likely your dog will not exhibit any adverse symptoms of any kind.

2. I think all you need to do is to monitor Sadie for present but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Kurt,

I am just checking back in to see how Sadie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Hydroxychloroquine issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Kurt,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?