Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a small mixed breed female dog (rat terrier/chihuahua

Customer Question

I have a small mixed breed female dog (rat terrier/chihuahua mix about 20 pounds) that I think ate only one Luden's throat drop. At least I found only one wrapper. I have a call into my vet but have not heard back from her yet. Sugar is panting fast a d constantly moving around from place to place and will not settle down in one spot. She is not vomiting or anything like that but she is very anxious. The closet emergency vet to me is 50 miles away. Do you think she will be okay? Do you think one throat drop will hurt her? Thank you very much for any information you can give me. Wanda Hall
JA: I'm sure into feels you are doing your best. I'll do all I can to help. The Veterinarian will know if into will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about into?
Customer: Not at this time.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, Luden's throat drops typically contain pectin which acts to put a coating on the throat to reduce irritation and swelling. Pectin has a high margin of safety in the dog so just one is not putting your dog at any great risk. What you are seeing is just some very minor side effect.

2. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation, but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that Sugar's condition changes further in any way or you would like to talk things over with me more.

3. I am not aware of any sugar free variety of this product, but sugar free additives can be toxic to dogs so check the packaging just as a precaution in case your one contains Xylitol and get straight back to me if this is the case.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Luden's throat drop ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.