Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Is it safe to keep our little mini lop in a hutch on the

Customer Question

Is it safe to keep our little mini lop in a hutch on the patio shaded area all year round. As far as health of rabbit?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

If you reside in an area where the temperatures stay between 60 and 75 degrees year round, yes, your bunny should be able to stay on the shaded patio in a raised hutch. If the temps fall below 60 or above 75, no, your bunny will need to have at least part of his year spent inside while the temps are less stable. Rabbits tend to need to stay at roughly the same temperatures that we do to be comfortable, so logically they usually do best inside especially if weather outside is more harsh.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it possible to insulate the hutch in the winter to stay outside, winter temps are from 15 degrees to 60 degrees.

You can certainly build or have built a hutch that can provide heat, but even insulation will require a rabbit to be warm. One caveat to this approach is that the bottom of the hutch needs to be relatively open for stool to fall through and that's where it's going to lose the most heat. Some people will heat one area of a hutch and then litter train their rabbit so they can change out the box without risk of losing too much heat from the bottom of the hutch. Your rabbit then has a toasty warm bed it can return to. Consider also a larger hutch with a 2nd rabbit so the two can help keep one another warm.

Here are some heating options:
1) https://www.cuteness.com/article/use-lamp-keep-rabbits-warm
2) http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rabbits/hutch.htm

Keep in mind that any cords, insulation, etc. that is near the rabbit(s) may wind up being chewed on or ingested. Keep this in mind when planning out any heated options for a hutch.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing? Is there any further help I can provide to you?