Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He is 17 and has parathyroid do you know how i can help him,

Customer Question

he is 17 and has parathyroid do you know how i can help him
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a dog yorkie mix with poodle
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: not moving or eating they gave him presiosne a steroid but its not working
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: scooby and they say there nothing more they can do i need to keep him
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no he has been getting worse over the past few months
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing primary hyperparathyroidism and, unfortunately, the treatment for that isn't something I would put a 17 year old through. It involves removal or ablation of affected parathyroid gland(s) and monitoring/treating for postoperative hypocalcemia (decreased serum calcium level). Prednisone may be temporarily palliative in some patients in reducing hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level) but that doesn't appear to be helpful enough in your dog.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can u save him if i bring him to you i will do anything to keep him alive

I'm honored by your request but I'm not an accomplished enough surgeon for your purposes. You would need to find a specialist veterinary surgeon near you. Scooby's vet can refer you to one or you might one here: www.acvs.org/