Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a pony with yukky eyes I have been bathing them each

Customer Question

Hi I have a pony with yukky eyes I have been bathing them each morning with warm salty water and putting a fly hood on him during the day but take it off at night...the discharge is yellow and his eye around the eye ball is very red looking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pony's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** (he belongs to my granddaughter) and he is 3 years old approx.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mickey Mouse?
Customer: Like what?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now based on the signs you have reported for Mickey Mouse, this sounds like a bacterial conjunctivitis. In regards ***** ***** to this, to start please be aware that you don't want to use home made salt water when flushing an eye. Salt crystals not fully in suspension can actually irritate and traumatize the eye. Therefore, we'd do want to flush the eye 2-3 times daily but need to use an eye-safe saline like OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. Otherwise, provided the clear corneal cover over the eye doesn't look hazy/cloudy and you cannot see actual damage or enlargement to the eye, then you could consider using a broad spectrum antibiotic eye ointment (ie Terramycin) from your local farm supply. This is usually used 2-3 times daily for a week. If the eye settles, we are happy. Though if signs persist and since eyes are so delicate, we'd want a local vet to check and swab the eye to identify the bacteria present, start treatment to clear that and make sure there are no underlying issues (ie trauma, ulcers, glaucoma, or tear production issues) that we'd also need to address for Mickey Mouse here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )