Dr.D
Dr.D, Veterinarian
Experience:  34 years of small animal medicine and surgery experience.Licensed in Florida and Canada
27194348

I have a red nose pit that's roughly three years old and she

Customer Question

I have a red nose pit that's roughly three years old and she is showing signs of Pyderma. She recently had a litter of eight in July and the puppies all had hot spots and healed from them but now she has got red spots on her vagina on her neck and they're hard and it look like there's pus in them and so I'm trying to make sure that I take the proper precautions to take care of my girl. could you please tell me if I'm correct in assuming that she might've developed this virus. On another note your skin does look good she's been irritable and Moody and energetic and ornery not her normal self
Submitted: 1 month ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.D replied 1 month ago.

Hello there \ I am DrD

Thank you for the question,

Can you post photographs of the lesions ?

Red spots with pus inside them tell us that the skin got infected .

Pyoderma is a bacterial infection of the skin. Pyodermas in dogs are usually caused by Staphylococcus bacteria. These bacteria usually will not cause disease on normal skin. However, other underlying skin diseases cause changes in the skin surface and make the skin more susceptible to infection. Common underlying causes of pyoderma include allergic diseases (food allergy, atopy, flea allergy); parasites (demodectic or sarcoptic mange); seborrhea and hormonal imbalances. As pyoderma is usually secondary to an underlying problem, it is important to diagnose and treat other health conditions while treating the pyoderma.

Pyodermas are treated using antibacterial shampoos, sprays or rinses. More severe pyodermas are treated with antibiotics. Deep skin infections require a longer course of antibiotic treatment. It is important to give the full dose of antibiotics for the entire time prescribed, even if your pet’s skin looks much better. Stopping the antibiotic before the prescription is finished may lead to further problems such as resistance to the antibiotic or the need to start treatment again from the beginning.

It is equally important to keep your recheck appointment. Medications may need to be modified at that time depending upon the pet's progress. Again, diagnosis and treatment of the primary problem is the key to preventing a recurrence.

I hope this helps . Let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback