Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Today I dewormed my puppy of 6 months, and late this

Customer Question

Today I dewormed my puppy of 6 months, and late this afternoon and presently he is acting very strange indeed. He keeps on looking over his shoulder and is on edge, moving around and oftern rubs his behind on the floor as if he has worms. He is really acting weird. Have I overdosed on the tablet? I gave him one tablet, Drontal. He weighs 6.6kgs..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: His name is Ollie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ollie?
Customer: I dont think so. He has just recovered from an ear infection which I have been putting cream in his ear.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What dose did you give of the Drontal?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Any appetite changes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a packet of Drontal for Medium dogs and I looked at his weight and it said one tablet, but I suppose I have overdosed him being a puppy??? He hasnt got diarrhea that I can see and his evening meal he has just about finished. Over the last couple of days he hasnt been eating that well but does eventually finish his food. He gets fed in the morning and evening and it is Advantage biscuits for puppys and cooked chicken breast.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

It makes no difference if they are a pup or adult, the dose is weight based. So, if you had the Drontal tablet of a strength that said one tablet for 6.6kg, then it is not an overdose. As well, signs we see of overdose or drug sensitivity don't tend to appear this way. We usually see vomiting and diarrhea. On rare occasions, we can see skin irritation, which may be what we have here. That said, the other concern with the signs you have reported is whether he has anal gland issues (ie inflammation, irritation, blockage). And that is more likely to cause his rubbing and attention to his back side then wormers or worms (its a common misconception that worms cause them to have itchy backsides, it comes from humans with pinworms but dog round and tape worms don't tend to cause peri-anal irritation). Therefore, I wouldn't be worried about an overdose with Ollie but I would suggest having his vet or groomer check his anal glands at this point. If the discharge is abnormal, he may need antibiotics and if the glands are inflamed then pup safe anti-inflammatories can also be dispensed. As well, just to try to firm his stools enough to express his glands you can increased his dietary fiber by adding canned/boiled pumpkin or all bran to his food.

Overall, the dose you gave does not sound like and overdose and Ollie's signs don't fit with the wormer being involved. Therefore, we'd be more suspicious of his glands causing him bother and would want to have those checked at this point +/- use fiber to try to express them naturally and soothe his signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I will see how he is tomorrow and make an appointment with my vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a perfect plan of action.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )