Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

Siberian male husky 6 years old always fit and healthy came

Customer Question

Siberian male husky 6 years old always fit and healthy came home from having a run came home and fell over having a convulsed like stage loss of appitite wouldn't drink really fast breathing looked scared eyes small dilation we gave milk thinking bait but he convulsed then settled down as it seemed he was hot so we cooled him down with water but it seemed to make it worse and after 2h he died
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, I am so sorry to hear that he deteriorated so fast and passed away. With all you have told me, we'd be most worried of toxicity here. Rat bait could cause this if he ate it days ago (since it works by blocking clotting and can cause sudden bleeds in the brain) but otherwise sudden signs would be more suggestive of snail bait or other pesticides. Of course, while less likely, we could also have seen this with brain inflammation from bacterial, viral or protozoal infections. As well, it is possible to also see these signs with head trauma (which sounds doubtful here) but also brain tumors.

With this in mind and as there is concern of poisoning (possibly if someone left things out in public to hurt dogs), you may want to consider having your lad's body submitted for an autopsy. This would be ideally done by a pathologist since the brain would need to be analyzed grossly and microscopically. but that would be our best means of getting to the root cause for his sudden passing.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )