Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My puppy was playing fetch and she started having trouble

Customer Question

My puppy was playing fetch and she started having trouble keeping balance due did it once b fore but after about ,1/2 hour back to normal but she having trouble keeping balance
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Could she have had any access to toxins, plants, or anything she should not have been eating?

Any changes to her breathing?

Are her gums pale/white or normal pink?

Does she have any know heart or health issues?

How is her appetite? Can she eat now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
On toxins possible but did not c bet but she was running after ball and goofy as normal then run in a circle then stumbling and no on heart Bangkok's has keeper up on every thing
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Can you tell me if there are changes to her breathing or gum color?

How is she just now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No paleness in gums a little fast breathing but now she just sleeping and not eating really good today don't think she had defecate all day
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you again,

Now when we see these kinds of situations, we do have a few concerns. Most often sudden wobbliness during play will be due to their blood sugar getting too low and if she hasn't been eating well today than that may be our culprit here. Otherwise, we can see these kinds of sudden signs with toxins but also underlying heart issues. Less commonly we will see this with brain issues and anemia (low red blood cell volume), but that doesn't' quite fit with what you have reported here.

Now if she is stable and sleeping, we need only monitor at this point. If we were to see any more weakness or if this happens again in the future, we'd want to try boosting her blood sugar to counter her signs. To do so, you can rub a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully stop her signs.

Otherwise, just to note, if her appetite was poor today then we may need to tempt her to eat for us. Puppy food us great because it has a lot of nutrition per bite but you can also try a light/easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). And if she hasn't passed stool, then you can add some OTC cat hairball treatment +/- a bit of canned pumpkin to help get things moving there for her.

Overall, this episode does raise a few worries for your wee lass. Its good her gums weren't pale, as that would increase heart and red blood cell concerns. And if she wasn't eating great, I suspect she did just overuse her body's glucose reserves. So, we'd want to let her rest but want to use the above to get that blood sugar up and to get her eating properly for us.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank u on bsnifeild wellness plan take her in the morning
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

If she is on their Wellness plan that would be ideal to be safe. Do make sure they have a good listen to her heart and hopefully we can just make sure there is nothing amiss there.

Best wishes

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Ernedt,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.