Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

How are you and thank you I think my rabbit has Snuffles and

Customer Question

Hi how are you and thank you I think my rabbit has Snuffles and I have an antibiotic at home and I would like to know if if they indicated for my rabbit actually I gave her like 15 days ago because she experienced and infraction I'm going to give you the net name of the antibiotic right away
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about actually I?
Customer: The name is bicillin
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Bicillin is a combination of two types of penicillin. While it may be helpful for these rabbits, there are better choices of antibiotics. Please peruse my synopsis of rabbit respiratory disease and then ask further questions if you wish...

Numerous infectious diseases are associated with disease of the upper respiratory tract in rabbits; they're due mainly to bacterial agents, but in rare cases, viral, fungal, or parasitic pathogens may be involved as well. These agents also produce lower respiratory disease with classic clinical signs and presentation of pneumonia. The most significant pathogen is Pasteurella multocida and we also find Bordetella, Pseudomonas, and staphylococcus species.

Treatment of Pasteurella should be our focus. Various treatment options are reported in the literature. Infection was eliminated in 7 of 8 rabbits treated with enrofloxacin (Baytril) at 5mg/kg subcutaneously every 12 hours for 14 days. Enrofloxacin given in the drinking water (50-100mg/L) for two weeks was similarly effective if our rabbits drank enough so that the daily intake of the drug was greater than 5mg/kg. Ciprofloxacin (20mg/kg) by mouth daily for 5 days eliminated infection in groups of rabbits in studies. Finally, one researcher reported success in control of chronic cases of confirmed pasteurellosis using enrofloxacin (5-10mg/kg orally every 12 hours) or chloramphenicol (50mg/kg orally every 12 hours) for up to 2-3 months.

These antibiotics are available from your vet who can also show you how to administer enrofloxacin by injection - my therapy of choice.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?