Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

I have a small breed dog who suffers belly pains every few

Customer Question

Hi I have a small breed dog who suffers belly pains every few months, is there anything I can do to ease his pain, he isn't crying in pain just very uncomfortable.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Just to add he doesn't have diarrhoea, it's seems to be like a constipation pain. But when the pain hits he jumps up and hides under something rests a little until the pain hits this can go on all night but morning it's fine but he keeps me awake all night I hate seeing him in pain
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.

How long has he had these issues?
Where on his belly does he seem to sore?
Does he seem sore after eating particular foods?
Any vomiting or appetite loss?
Any straining? How long since he last passed stool?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi sorry for late reply my phone is broken.
He only seems to get these if we catch him eating the bird seed off the ground, he never vomits and will only eat if it's our food but it doesn't last very long maybe 8-10 hours max and then he is fine. When he has pains his belly is hard and bloated and he jumps with the pain it's like a contraction comes and goes but buy morning ( always seems to be a night thing) he is completely normal. He passes a stool after every meal and im not sure if he did that day as I was at work and came home to him with a sore belly I just know cause he sits on my feet and won't leave my side.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 14 days ago.

No worries,

Now it is interesting that you have noted that these episodes are often related to birdseed ingestion. The reason is that the seed isn’t easily digestible and can cause gut irritation but also birdseed on the ground is often mixed with the feces of the birds that have been in the feeder. And with bacterial agents like Salmonella in their feces, this could be causing his intermittent gut upset.

With this all in mind, to start we do need to keep him away from the birdseed. If we do see a flare-up, then we’d want to consider starting a light diet (ie cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only)). To this we can add canned pumpkin to coat the gut and reduce irritation from the seed. Also since we have bacterial upset concerns, we can also use an OTC canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Benebac) to support his good gut bacteria from other agents. And if he seems quite gassy (as we can see with pathogenic bacteria growth and that could make him bloated/tense), you could also add a small dose (250-500mg) of OTC activated charcoal to his food. That way we can hopefully reduce his discomfort with this and keep him safely comfortable.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.
Hi Kylie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boosta. How is everything going?

Dr. B.