Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I'm nervous a kitten bottle feeding may have pneumonia. it's

Customer Question

I'm nervous a kitten bottle feeding may have pneumonia. it's about 6 days old on day three I heard it coughing a little bit so I gave it a penicillin shot it's not coughing anymore it's been eating great every time and pooping and peeing.... earlier when I went to pick it up it didn't whine/cry as much barely at all and that scares me that maybe it's struggling to breathe but it ate vigeriously
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Her eating so well shoud belie aspiration pneumonia but assessing her respiratory rate should be even more informative. Please measure her breaths/minute when she's asleep. A respiratory rate over 40 breaths/minute would be worrisome. Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Soon as I have it measured I will respond back I'm putting her back down in the heat pad nap area now

Great. I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
More information you should know to is getting to a vet take a 1hour flight.... now here me and my few neighbors are our own vet. we help each other the best we can but I'm the one everybody comes to. So I truly need to know is there much is it to do.... is it the best. It may have been a little much but I gave it 1/10 ml
of 300,000 per ml.... so if that was too much at least it hasn't affected his appetite I did the best I could if it's not enough to help pneumonia please let me know... 80 breaths per minute

80 breaths/minute is quite worrisome. While penicillin isn't the best choice of antibiotics when addressing an aspiration pneumonia, I understand your logistical constraints. Dosing of procaine penicillin G injectable is 10,000 units/lb once or twice daily. How much does the kitten weigh and is your product procaine penicllin G only or procaine penicillin G + benzathine penicillin?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My second count was somewhere around 50 per minute so my first one may have been off
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's just penicillin G suspension how much should I give it and how often I also have oral amoxicillin
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How weight is about 60 grams
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've actually saved lizards with my amoxacillin sorry so I've Gotten Good at being accurate with small doses

Such a tiny kitten (0.1 lb) would receive only 1,000 units of the suspension twice daily subcutaneously for a minimum of a week. 1,000 units/300,000 units/lb is less than 0.01 ml twice daily! You have your work cut out for you! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've got a syringe that can do a hundredth of a ml but my next question is are there other antibiotics that have a much higher chance of success are....... if I think there's a good chance it might make it. With the other antibiotics.... and I'll spend the money on a Charter flight
This is where I just need your opinion as honestly as you can give it I know you're making an educated guess at best...
I can't really afford to spend the money in it. But I know you're just giving an opinion I can't and won't hold you to anything but you can help me make a better educated guess

Yes, I would prefer a broader spectrum injectable such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin. There is a risk of cartilage abnormalities, however, when enrofloxacin is administered to such a young patient. Where do you live, Joseph?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
An hour outside of Anchorage ...peanuts ranch
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would it take for me to give him Amoxicillin I can give him one or two milligrams I can measure that small of a dose but it's oral

Ah! Yes, I speak to Alaskan customers often. I appreciate your logistical constraints.

Yes, oral dosing is OK and may suffice in these cases. Amoxicillin can be dosed at 5 mg/lb twice daily - 0.5 mg twice daily for the kitten.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the ability to supply it with pure oxygen help
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I give the kitten pure oxygen will that help

Yes, but not with pure oxygen. It's best to make an oxygen "chamber" with its opening dislodged and the supplemental oxygen piped into the chamber.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just wanted to give you an update the little kitten is still alive amazingly I track down a neighbor about 30 miles away that had an oxygen concentrator from a previous family member who has passed...
I think that definitely helped a lot Friday night I thought for sure it was going to die i..
But now I can hear it making my notification to get it out to call I know it has to get this stuff out to ever recover I hope it will get big enough room to do that and in the meantime if I can keep it alive long enough any tips you have please let me know using voice recognition so if you see errors please read through them
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry that part that makes no sense was supposed to say I can hear it trying to caugh try to get the stuff out and I think it really has to get it out itself there's no way for a body to get it out on its own I can hear her starting to at least caugh a little...
If you have any more tips for me please let me know in the meantime I'm just keeping it in the open-ended bucket and I'm putting oxygen into and there's also a warming pad at the bottom in a blanket now she's getting not quite pure oxygen

You're doing all I could ask of you - antibiotics and oxygen + the tincture of time. You're going to need to continue bottle feeding and be even more patient about it because while being fed, it's particularly difficult to breath for this kitten.

Thank you for the good update!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How long should I keep the kitten on amoxicillin I was going to keep her on it through Sunday that will be nine days she just opened her eyes yesterday

A minimum of 10 days. How is she doing? How's her respiratory rate at this time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is still between 70 and 80 breaths per minute.... but I hear her coughing and trying to get stuff up now I'm hoping she will grow into being strong enough to get it out do you think I should give the antibiotics for 14 days or until her breath rate return to normal
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It seems to fluctuate sometimes she'll Breath around 20 or 30 seconds at a 40 breaths per minute rate but then it'll increase to 70 / 80 per minite

She's matured to the point that the cough reflex is better developed. Considering that elevated respiratory rate, I'd continue the amoxicillin indefinitely. Please check back with me within the next week.