Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog at about 9.00 started getting the runs and vomiting

Customer Question

My dog at about 9.00 started getting the runs and vomiting at the moment he is OK .his nose is wet. And he is resting I do not see any signs of ticks as he has had a haircut last week
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 29 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Patricia, please note that the symptoms of a tick-borne infection don't appear for at least 15-30 days after an infected tick bites Ziggy. His gastrointestinal distress can arise from more possible causes that I could list in this venue but simple dietary indiscretion - eating something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or even a non-food item - is most common. Treatment should be not doing at this time; in other words, Ziggy is fasted for 12 hours but water is left down. If drinking induces more vomiting, ice cubes for him to lick should replace his water. In 12 hours his regular food should be reintroduced unless you happened to just open up a new bag of food which could have been too heavily bacterially contaminated. If that's the case, that bag should be discarded and another (preferably from a different location and a different lot (number code on the label) of food) fed. If he continues to exhibit signs of GI distress once fed again, another 12 hour fast is appropriate. Continuation of his GI distress should be addressed by his vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.