Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

He fell down a flight of stairs and hit his head somewhere

Customer Question

He fell down a flight of stairs and hit his head somewhere on the way down and now he is shaking . Could he have a concussion and do I need to get him to a vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the head's name and age?
Customer: Mclovin and he is 4 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mclovin?
Customer: No.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Levinson replied 2 months ago.

Hi there my name is***** and I'll try to help you and Mclovin tonight. How is he acting now?

Is he limping at all? Can he stand? walk? Shaking could be because he's scared and adrenaline running through his body after the trauma, or it could indicate pain. How are his eyes? Are they normal or dilated? If you shine a light into them do the pupils constrict down or stay the same? Because he is a small breed dog I would urge you to go to the ER vet to have him looked at. Yes, dogs can get contusions, where blood and swelling can occur on the brain.