Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dogs nail has completely been ripped off including the

Customer Question

My dogs nail has completely been ripped off including the quick there is just a hole there that is bleeding!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about nail?
Customer: I've soaked the foot in cold salt water put antibacterial powder on and bandaged it up. Will the nail ever grow back?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 7 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog ripped his nail off.

You have done the right treatments so far to protect the nailbed from infection and stop the bleeding.

Some dogs do grow their nails back, but it is hard to say if the quick is gone also. Some dogs will grow "crooked nails" where the nails grow in strange directions and need regular trimming. Others the nail never grows back.

I would continue to soak the paw once daily in warm Epsom salts water, pat dry, apply antibiotic powder or cream and rebandage. Do this once daily to check for healing and monitor for infection.

If your pup develops fever, stops eating, the paw or leg becomes hot to the touch, he will need to see your vet for oral antibiotics.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you have to soak it everyday in salt water or would it be better to just let it dry up as soaking it will surely start it bleeding again?

I would soak it for a few days, but don't scrub or rub it. It won't bleed again if you do not disturb the clot.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm so sorry to have wasted your time but unfortunately this account and question was set up and asked by an unauthorised person and I Mrs KL Spring will be requesting a refund.