Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My puppy 2.8 # had a p.m. tablet in her mouth. I got it out

Customer Question

My puppy 2.8 # had a p.m. tablet in her mouth. I got it out of her mouth but I'm worried she ingested some. Is she safe?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Can you clarify "p.m." for me, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure if it's Tylenol or aspirin it's a blue pill so it's a pain with sleep aid
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
90% of the pill is left so I didn't know if it's an issue

Tylenol PM contains both an antihistamine (diphenhydramine) and analgesic (acetaminophen). It's unlikely that 10% of that pill could contain enough of either drug to intoxicate your puppy. Acetaminophen becomes toxic at 70 mg/lb or ~200 mg for your puppy and so that shouldn't be a concern. Diphenhydramine will overly sedate but once again there isn't enough of that antihistamine in the Tylenol PM (25 mg) to be worrisome. 10% of 25 mg is 2.5 mg - the proper dose for a 3 lb dog! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Doc!

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?