Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We have a 4 year old daschound male, he is drinking an

Customer Question

we have a 4 year old daschound male , he is drinking an excessive amount of water. which to our thinking is out of the norm. ? why.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: like I stated in my question 4 year old daschound.
JA: Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: ollie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about ollie?
Customer: Yes he was born somewhat deformed ie one blue eye, one testical missing and 2 toes missing, recently x ray shows calsified bones near the rear spine,he was the last in the litter.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Ollie has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

While I cannot accurately diagnose his problem via the Internet I can give you the following general information based on my past experience of a great many such cases over the years. The bot***** *****ne is that drinking excessively such as you describe would always be a cause for concern, the chances are some disease process is causing these symptoms so this is something you should have checked out.

What I can do though is to talk you through just some of the possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know. This is the personal list I use when presented with a dog like yours, the chances are that the disease your dog is suffering from is here somewhere ...

1. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
2. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
3. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests
4. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests
5. Cushings syndrome

Since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have your dog checked over by your vet sooner rather than later. There is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation, however a quick blood test will very often shed light on the matter.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Ollie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his excess drinking ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Doctor thank you for your feedback, Ollie is now ok , one of those things Iguess. Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thanks so much for the update.

I am glad Ollie has returned to normal ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?