Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield

I have a cat who attacks without any warning and its serous

Customer Question

I have a cat who attacks without any warning and its serous attack. He scratches hard and blood comes out. Otherwise he is an excellent pet. He doesn't attack often. Once in while which is very unpredictable. My questions -
(a) How can I stop him from attacking?
(b) If he attacks what can I do to escape from him ( I just run away from him). Spray and diffuser
I have consulted vet , keeping him sedated is not an option. He has Bladder problem and is on CD bladder health diet.
Sone suggested to put him to sleep. We don't want to do that. Except for bladder problem he is healthy. I am afraid of him since he attacked me three weeks ago and frightened to come out of the house when he is outside
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 1 month ago.

I am Dr. Pulter. i will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read over your question.

This sounds like a very serious problem. It is not fair to be afraid of an animal you are responsible for especially when at other times he is a great pet. First you need to document everything that occurs around the time he attacks. Start by keeping a journal. If Dallas has not had full blood work and physical recently then he will need that. There is a diet you can ask your vet for that is specifically for cats with urinary problems and helps with stress. (ie royal canin calm/urinary or hills c/d stress). Then you need to seek out a veterinary behaviorist which will dissect and discuss options for your kitty. This likely means behavioral training and medications. There is usually a reason for a pet to attack and it is imperative that you work closely with someone to determine this so that you can work on stopping it. Secondly, if you can recognize signs that he is going to attack you might want to place him where he cannot hurt you. Unfortunately, euthanasia is also an option as if the attacking is not predictable and it decreases yours and Dallas's quality of life it would not be fair for both of you. Here is a website you help you find a behaviorist.

Hi Amba,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dallas. How is everything going?

Dr. Chelsea Pulter