Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.

My Golden Retriever 8 years receives allergen immunotherapy

Customer Question

My Golden Retriever 8 years receives allergen immunotherapy shots every three weeks for allergies to grass, trees, pollen. He has been getting these for 7 years . All symptoms have stopped. He got Wellness blood work last week and one of his liver enzymes is at 1000 instead on around 100. Last year it was at 500 and he had an ultrasound done of his liver and everything was normal. Could these antigen injections I give him be causing the rise in his liver enzyme?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

It would help to know which of the liver enzymes is the one that is elevated.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Each enzyme is different, has a different function, and can be elevated for different reasons.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

You might consider some liver protecting supplements, such as SAMe, milk thistle, fish oil. Whatever is causing the elevated enzymes, it may help to protect the liver. Denamarin is a great supplement that contains both SAMe and milk thistle's active ingredient, marin.